Sunday, April 26, 2009

a bend in the road

The last time I updated this was the evening I was waiting for Kathryn to arrive. She did, and we spent 10 days together, visited old friends, took a trip downtown on the MetroVia, so she could see if it was still as bad as it was last year (it was), we spent 2 days out at Playas at camp, 2 glorious days of rest and relaxing, where I was able to stay on the beach as long as I wanted to, with nobody needing me for anything!! I read, slept, walked and played in the waves - it was wonderful! Then we went to Quito and Otavalo for a few days, and then suddenly the 10 days were all over and she was gone!

And today I booked flights for me to go back to Canada for a time. This is hard for me to write about, but this blog is about the journey I'm on, and this is part of that journey, and those of you who are following my progress need to know about the bends in the road too. While Kathryn was here with me, we got news that my sister-in-law is losing her battle with an aggressive brain tumour, and her time with us here is getting short. And so I'm going home, I need to be with my family now. It's hard to be so far away, with something like this happening, I need my family, and they need me. But at the same time it is hard to leave here, knowing I'll be gone awhile. There are so many thoughts in my head right now - who will do what I've been doing here, who will look after my patients, how will it feel to be in Canada for a few months, how hard will it be to adjust back here when I come back...? But I'm doing what I have learned to do, follow where God leads, and trust Him for all of this. He is faithful, loving, and will be with each of us every step of the way on this dificult road that this family is now walking. He has promised that - "I will never leave you nor forsake you". Never.
"But I trust in your unfailing love" Psalm 13
I am re-reading a book by David Jeremiah - When Your World Falls Apart. It's a good one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heather,
Thinking and praying for you. Hope your transition home.. from home is smooth. Looking forward to seing you soon.
Brent