Friday, February 15, 2008

Friday in Playas

It´s Friday afternoon, and it´s a very hot day, and here I am in the bustling town of Playas. I´m in the internet cafe and it´s quite cool in here, maybe I´ll just stay here for the afternoon!
I came out to the coast to camp on Wednesday, by bus with Janna and Daniel, and arrived feeling as though I´d been beaten up, a combination of the lurching, swaying and jerking of the bus, and the speed at which it traveled when it found open road, and the endless music blaring from the speaker above my head the whole way here. Travel by public trasportation here requires nerves of steel. Being a little deaf would also help!
Anyway, I´m here and it´s wonderful, the beach is still here and that´s one of my favourite places to be. We had lunch on the beach yesterday, at the little establishment right outside the camp. It was my first Ecuadorian meal and was I ready for it! Rice and fried corvina (a local fish), and salad and plantain. SO good. Hard to beat, sitting there eating a great meal gazing down the beach at the sand and and waves. Felt pretty good, indeed.
I had my first casualty right afterwards, though. The 6 young Canadians who have been there getting camp ready, went swimming for awhile after lunch, and I headed up to lie down for a bit, it was so hot, and then heard somebody holler. It was one of the young guys, got himself stung by a stingray. Oh great! I had a idea what to do, but it was hard to know whether or not to take him to get more attention than I was equipped to give. So I prayed hard, and did what I knew, which is to get the foot into water as hot as he could stand as quickly as possible, give him some Advil and Benadryl, and then Ray looked on the internet to see if there was anything else we should be doing. There didn´t seem to be anything else, the only other worry is if there is a piece of the stinger left behind, but I investigated that as far as I dared, and I couldn´t see anything, and after an hour or so of being in the water he was feeling better, and by last night he was fine! What a relief. Stingray injuries haven´t been all that common at the North Burlingotn Medical Centre! I hope this isn´t going to be a common happening this year.

No comments: