Wednesday, February 6, 2008

snowed in!

So this is the day on which I should have been on my way to Ecuador. As I write this, by now I should have been on the final leg of the trip between Miami and Guayaquil. But of course, this is Canada and it`s February, and snow can happen. And did happen. And so instead of being almost there, I`m at my parents` house waiting for another try tomorrow. And it`s still snowing. Hard. So we`ll see.

Everything went smoothly at first, it was a little slow driving to the airport, but we got there in good time, and all went smoothly there. No, no, the man who checked me in said, the flight will be going and on time. Oh good. And I was at my gate by 7:30. Then suddenly it was going to be delayed until 12:10, and then by 10:30, it was cancelled. So back out we all went, collected the bags that we thought we`d seen the last of, got re-booked, I called the family to come and get me, and 5 hours after I had arrived at the airport, I left it, having accomplished nothing. Except to spend a lot of time in a crowded gate area, spend a lot of money on things like water ($2.79!!) and yogurt ($1.99!!) and wait a lot.
So I am booked onto the same flights tomorrow, same time, same station, different day! And I will get to say goodbye all over again. I just pray that tonight`s snow will be done in time to be able to leave.
So I hope that the next post will be to say I`ve arrived.

No comments: