Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sunday

This is the end of my second full day here, and I'm starting to get my feet under me. I didn't feel settled at all yesterday, partly because there isn't really a place for me to settle yet. I was between houses Friday and Saturday, but by last evening was in what will be my house sometime in March, and was on my own. But I felt very out of sorts. It's altogether a different feeling to be here this time. Kind of between lives at the moment, I guess. The Canadian life is behind me, for the time being, and the new Ecuadorian life hasn't yet begun. I haven't even got to the familiar camp life yet.
But this morning I went to Bastion to church, and saw all my friends for the first time, and I remembered why I was here. I crossed that dreaded busy road to Bastion Popular (the squatter community where I'll be working), and into such a welcome. I was well and truly hugged by all, I know where to go if I'm ever in need of a hug!!
It was SO good to see everybody again after a year. The year goes by so quickly in some ways, but it feels like it's been a long time when you see the folks you've missed.
My Spanish has been pulled from the shelf and is getting dusted off, and the rusty spots are showing. It got a workout this morning,and it was a huge relief to get to the church in Block 10 and find my friend Daniel has carried on with his English study and is really good now. I had a great long chat with him in English, and it was good to give my poor Spanish a break. I'm hoping that maybe I'll just wake up one morning and find that I'm fluent! Well, I know it's unlikely, but it would be nice, wouldn't it?!
Before I headed out this morning,I sat with my coffee and read my Bible a bit and landed on verses that I knew, but needed again today - Isaiah 41 v 10 & 13: "Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you........" "For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear: I will help you." And I hold those promises close as I go forward.

No comments: